Thursday, December 15, 2011

"So how'd you go?" SHORT VERSION - post-NY Marathon report, Nov 2011

“So how’d you go?”

I’ve struggled to adequately put into words the scale, the noise, the sheer size and overpowering  sensual assault that is the NY Marathon.    
The biggest marathon in the world.  Nearly 50,000 runners, 2 million spectators. So big it  actually shuts down the city that never sleeps.        


But I’m very clear on one thing: you were there, and you helped change lives .

Highlight
The obvious one was the impact of the journey in raising money to support those most in need.  NY’s famed streets of liberty, power, money and opportunity were run to help those in countries whose streets offer the least of these.
Your Team World Vision crew has so far raised $126,000


Of course it’s still not too late to give & continue to  grow that total…

The run

Total starters:   47,438

Winners:        Mens:  Geoffrey Mutai, Kenya, 2.05.06 (course record & Africans 1-2-3.)
                           Womens:  Firehiwot Dado, Ethiopia, 2.23.15

My time:        3.23.04  (PB)
                           Overall:  3,949
                           Gender: 3,476
                         Age segment : 496


To put this in perspective by age group winners I was ahead of the 18yr old girls (3.26.38), but well behind my age group (2.32.59).       I was in front of the men’s 75yrs (4.39.57), but finished behind the men’s 70yr olds (3.22.51)!!

Oldest runners: Mens: 84 (7.44.45), Womens: 83, (8.29.41)


What have I learnt?
The marathon of life goes on. This event may stop but the need for those in poverty goes on. Day after day after day.
It’s humbling to think that in the 3.23.04 it took me to run the race 2,436 children died from hunger related causes.
 

I wanted to run fast and set a PB. I felt I needed to have a red hot go and leave nothing in the tank. I owed it to you, my supporters, to go as hard as I could on the day.    

“Short-term pain for others long-term gain…”

What's next?
For now no more Nutella & peanut butter & that first beer tasted  good!
There’ll be another adventure soon. Another challenge. But maybe I could be part of the team supporting you on your journey next.  



For your tax-deductible support click this link:
www.teamworldvision.com.au/andrew_mckenzie_7

Love to hear from you!


Andrew
in store for you in 2012 for helping others …..


No comments:

Post a Comment