Thursday, December 15, 2011

A few of my favourite things. NY Marathon 2011 impressions

THIS EVENT IS OVER … THE MARATHON CONTINUES ….

The New York Marathon is, in a word, massive. What else would you expect from the world’s biggest, fastest, richest city?  It’s an event like no other I’ve experienced. Its scale, noise, and sheer size are an overpowering sensual assault. That’s what the NY Marathon is all about.

Fortunately I’ve read many blogs and others have similarly admitted struggling with their words to do justice.  I thought the best way might be to just start writing about my experience, making sure I cover the highlights. So here we go! 

Highlight 1:  Meeting the NY Team World Vision crew. 

    

 
They hosted a pre-race dinner with us Aussie’s (pasta of course!) What an amazing bunch.  They raised 400 child sponsors between them. The map below shows where they have been able to change lives throughout the world. Wow! Team Captain Juampa and his wife Rachel have amazing energy and drive. They even have the winner of “America’s Biggest Loser” on their crew! I met my marathon ‘hero’, Era Porth (below), whose blog “Running With Perseverance” (http://runningwithperseveranceblog.com/) was captivating, powerful and even got stuck up on my bathroom mirror, such was its inspiration!

Particular reference to meeting Rusty Funk (below) who, apart from having the coolest name, Rusty was one of four Team World Vision runners who did miles 100 miles (yes that’s miles – not km's) in the recent Chicago Marathon.       Big wow!


Highlight 2: Raising over $125,000 for World Vision.
That’s right. That’s what these amazing 8 new mates have achieved (so far). Apart from the inspiration they were (and Rose from World Vision - pictured), everyone finished and everyone achieved a NY record (another way of saying they were all NY first timers!). Whilst some may never run again they were an awesome team to be part of. I only wish we had more time to have hung out together, debriefed and shared the stories.    

(By the way, the event’s official charities combined raised over $30 million! Wow!)
Highlight 3: The event
47,348. That’s how many started the event. Not all finished.  It was a lot steeper than I expected. Fifth Avenue seemingly went on and up for ever and ever. The bridges were mini Everests. Central Park’s last 3 miles  undulated - even the finish line was uphill! Ouch. Melbourne’s course,  by comparison, is flat, fast and easy.

This is very different from any running event I’ve done. It’s more like the   Grand Final Parade. It’s a huge NY party and everyone’s invited. The fans  cheer the runners and the runners cheer the fans.  The fans are noisy, ten deep in some spots, euphoric,  and fantastic. Its’ a 2 way party.  
Highlight 4: The road-side entertainment
The bands:  130 of them along the full route. 

                       *Most fun:   singing the YMCA song (and yes the runners did the actions too!))

 *Most memorable:  the gospel choir (pictured)

 *Most inspiring sign:  any Aussie flag!

 *Best sign to see at the 26 mile mark:  “If it was easy I’d be doing it”.




Highlight 5:  Drinking American coffee!

There’s something I never thought I’d say!     But this was special. This was Dukale’s coffee.  The week before we arrived World Vision ambassador, Hugh Jackman, had opened a new coffee shop selling coffee imported from Ethiopia. If you have seen the World Vision documentary “Seeds of Hope” you’ll know Hugh visited Ethiopia and met Dukale, an inspiring coffee farmer. Well two years later he is selling Dukale’s coffee in New York. Wow!      And I’ve drunk it and it tasted great! 



Highlight 6:  Reading and learning
Reading two great books on the plane:  Ryan Hall’s “Run with Joy” and Meb Keflezighi’s “Run to Overcome’. Both runners are inspiring.

 Meb came from a village in Eritrea, Africa, with no running water or electricity. He never owned a text book. He didn’t see TV until he was 10. He won the NY Marathon in 2009 (&  came 6th this year with a PB two seconds faster than his 2009 time!). He is thankful for what running has given him.


R       Ryan Hall is  currently the fastest American-born distance runner. Like Meb he also delights in his passion for running – and in helping others. He is passionate about Team World Vision and helping others through doing what he loves.  I learnt from him to run with joy: pray, enjoy it, do your best, and leave the rest to God. Ryan knows where his identity and his strength come from and that joy is always available to him.

LL L          Look out for him at the Olympics next year.     


Highlight 7: Letter from the Prime Minister!
While I might not like her politics I’ll still take an official encouragement letter from the office! Thanks Julia!



Highlight 8: My family
At the 22 mile mark a video message from my wife and two kids in Australia popped up on the big screen. Pre-recorded, it used technology to trigger where I was on the course and play it for me.  Totally spine tingling. I was yelling to those around me “that’s my family up there”!  Suddenly the pain went and I was rejuvenated (till we started the next hill!)


Gotta’ love your son’s hug when you’re hot and sweaty. Thanks Aaron!      We’d arranged for Aaron to give me an energy  gel at the 23 mile mark where he was part of the Team World Vision family and friends cheer spot. This photo above is my most favourite photo of the whole day!  Travelling with him was a great highlight.

I have loved doing this journey with my family. From helping with sausage sizzles at Bunning’s in the middle of a wet winter to giving me time away to speak, train and prepare, they have been patient and generous. “The power of people that believe in you and encourage you to chase your dreams is a tremendous gift”. I could not have done it without them.  
Most of 2011 must have seemed like this to them many times…..

Highlight 9: You! The support crew
You’re not ‘my’ supporters you are the supporters of those children and families we have helped.

You were like the Ferrari formula one pit crew for me! I wrote your names on my timing wrist band and you travelled each step of the journey with me. You ran 42.2km!  You also ran 112 training sessions, a total of 1,274kms in training and the race, and burnt 96,881 calories with me!
Thank you. You have been inspiring, I felt like I owed it to you to run my best and represent you well. I was relieved to post a PB for you!
 
Highlight 10:   Others
        Finally, I tried as hard as I could to always remember that this entire journey was all about         o     others. Not me, certainly not me. This was best summed up by Juampa, Team World Vision NY Captain, (below)who also ran (4.13.38):


“I also prayed for the over 400 sponsored children in this campaign. You see, that is the ultimate reason why we were all running. We truly believe we can change the world one child at a time. Here in America we take so much for granted. As I was running I made a conscious decision to meditate upon whatever the miles brought my way. When I was thirsty, I celebrated water and Gatorade. I truly thanked God, I prayed and I cried for the millions of people in the world that do not have clean water. When I was taking my gels (pretty much calories in semi liquid form), I thanked God for every meal I share with my family. I cried often throughout the course and prayed for all the mothers that don’t have food for their babies and for all the children that go to bed hungry every night.”





Like I’ve said many times, we really have been changing lives here folks. The impact is enormous.

So now I’m feeling a little ‘runmotional’.  This is the result of the strange mixture of the event being over, celebrating the $125,000+ achievement, yet realizing the marathon journey goes on day after day for so many in our world.    


Thanks for sharing this particular journey. I’m up for another one.  Are you?
When you do (not if) count me in on your support crew. Whether you sign up for Team World Vision and come run with me next year, or whatever you do, may you start your own journey and run it with joy.  

 From me – and from those you have helped;

Thank you.

Andrew McKenzie, Team World Vision.  
www.teamworldvision.com.au/andrew_mckenzie_7


No comments:

Post a Comment