Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Feeling runmotional. My 6 Star World Marathon Majors journey comes to an end ...

 



October 2022



Well that was fun! 
 
The 2022 London Marathon ends a journey that was dreamed and started back in 2011. 

Back then I heard about the relatively new Abbott World Marathon Majors challenge to complete the world’s 6 biggies: New York - London - Chicago - Tokyo - Berlin and Boston. These 6 events are running's equivalent of the tennis Grand Slam.


 
I wanted to do it to use running to help others.
 
After a long wait due to Covid, the goal was accomplished at the 2022 TCS London Marathon.  (I had originally signed up with a charity spot for London's 2020 event.)

On the way we’ve raised tens of thousands of dollars for great charities that have made life-changing impact.
 
And that’s only been possible for those of you who helped along the way - you bought caricatures, sausages, raffle tickets and more. Much more.
 



While running the streets of London I thought of all of you. I was a fair bit “runmotional” as my mate Michael Chitwood would say.

Mike Dolbey you started this off with the first donation. I will never forget.
Johan Vilhelm Eltvik, Peter Burns and Stephen Bendle you were great friends and bosses who gave me time to pursue this dream.
 
So many more of you who made it possible - Rose Levien, Liam Harris, Paul Littmann, Kelly Addis, and so many more. 
 
I’ve made friends from around the world and home - Tim Fearn-Wannan
 
While running in the London Marathon I saw one of them - amazingly - on the course. Juampa Martinez was at my first event for World Vision in New York - and he was there in London enabling and empowering runners to do the same thing - help others by running. Out of 50,000 runners and zillions of cheering fans over a 42km course across London how is it possible I saw him and he hears my call? Blessed. 

Here is Juampa running in New York with me back in 2011. He hasn't lost his spark and passion and has helped countless others experience this joy too. 

 
I have been so encouraged by my running family Diamond Valley Striders and I couldn't have done it without their care, encouragement and support. Everyone should find a running group to encourage them like I am fortunate to have.
 
And to my family who came on the journey with me - Aaron McKenzie (New York), Benjamin McKenzie (Boston), Amber McKenzie (Tokyo), Bella McKenzie (London virtual) and Debbie McKenzie (Berlin and - appropriately- crossed the finish line with me in London).
 
It’s now time to think of new ways to use running to help others.  
 


253.2 kms done. And a big special medal to show for it



For the majority of these events I've worn the same yellow singlet with "Janji" plastered on the front.  Janji is a special running company that shares its profits with water benefitting projects in countries from where their designs are inspired.  Running and water is pretty important for each other,  That's why I'm glad to promote this apparel company above any other. Janji
   
 


SOME STATS ABOUT THE MAJOR SERIES





*      More people in the world have now joined the "6 Star" Club (7,584) than have climbed Mt Everest         (6,014)! 

*       I'm one of just 190 Aussies in that Club! And 1 of 230 from Oceania.   (The largest are the US                 1,433 and UK 733). 



And now my name is on the Wall Of Fame!  Another nice touch.  These photos from the New York Marathon Expo one month after London (and taken by Juampa for me!)






 ANDREW'S RATINGS!

Organisation                    
10
Really impressive.  The WMM team do a great job - the website is easy and they communicate to you regularly.

You can log all your details in their runners portal. 

And nice little touches like this ... a bib for your back.  It worked! Lots of encouragement during the race. 


              
    
Scanning my bib at the finish line to make it all official...

Atmosphere
10
There has been a buzz about finishing this challenge. The Covid-delay saw London's event delayed from April 2020 to Oct 2020, then 2021 and then to October 2022.  It was worth the wait. 


... and then I get the medal :)


Courses
10
Each of them different, each of them special. (Have a read of my other blog post about which one is my favourite). 

You can't miss the WMM signage at these races nowadays - here's London's start corrals


Expo
7
They have really upped their game from when it began. Now the WMM is front and centre at the Expo and they have fun things like runner treadmills and ways to promote the series and engage with people. 


Medal
11
How cool is this...
 



Runner’s pack
2
The rest of the merchandise range could do with some work, but I REALLY like this tshirt - what a great graphic...


Post run beers always go down well!

Injuries
0
Sure, the legs took a battering over the combined 253.2km, but who remembers that? And the bank balance also!  

But what price treasured memories and holidays with family???




Obligatory kiss the medal photo!




 https://www.worldmarathonmajors.com/


Runjani.com
@runjanji 







No comments:

Post a Comment