Friday, April 21, 2017

Paris 2017: the world's most beautiful city for 42,501 runners ... and me





The most beautiful city in the world had a big expectation that its Marathon could deliver the same experience.

In short, it did.  It's a magnificent Marathon in a really beautiful city.  Add it to your bucket list.
How this event is not one of the World Major Marathons I don't know.  Its every bit as awesome and right up there with New York and the other majors.

It delivers plenty of genuine 'pinch yourself' experiences .... yes, I really am running down the Champs-Élysées ......  with 43,000 other runners ...... with the entire road just for us runners.

Yes, there is the Louvre Museum. Yes there is the Eiffel Tower.  Got the idea?  If ever you need a 'pick me up' along the course this event delivers consistently.

Perfect weather helped - and perfect organisation too.  I'm always impressed when anyone can organise tens of thousands of runners.  Its a huge effort and I always appreciate (and try to thank) the volunteers and those who make it a great experience for us runners.

Some highlights:
Jose found me ... I think he could find a needle in a haystack!
* Seeing my friend Jose on the course. I had one friend with me in all of Paris  and - unbelievably - out of 42kms and 43,000 people he saw me and even ran with me.  A huge lift!

* The start...



Always inspiring..... wheel chair elites

Super portable toilets right at the start!!  Not really private but very practical!

Yes that is the Arc de Triomph just behind us at the start line

"Aller"  (Go!)

The cobble stones of the Champs-Élysées   



* Meeting other Aussies on the course.  I met Annie from Hobart and ran with her through the last 10km.  Immediate BFF!

So French!
* The best sign on the course:   "If Trump can run and win, so can you!"

* The course ....

It really is beautiful .....

Drummers 

Amazing drink stations .....   

These bikes were a little tempting .....

And a mid-race massage was tempting too!

Such a cool old Citroen (and the Notre-Dame Cathedral in the background)




I never knew there were so many drummers in all France.  Drummers drummers everywhere!

Oh look!  

So its perfectly ok to stop for a photo!

It was hot - 24-ish - and they took runner hydration seriously!

The 40km mark.  More drummers....

42.1km.  Just 100 metres to go...... poor runner :(

You getting the idea about lots of drummers!

Best view in any Marathon .. the finish chute!


Tourist or runner?????

My event ranking:

Organisation
9.5
Organising 42,500 people for anything is hard. This ran like clockwork. Bravo! 


Course
7
The best bits are the start and in the city. The parks at either end of the course are beautiful but I like playing tourist in the city more. 
Relatively flat - except for the last couple of km which seems to wind uphill .... so if you're up for a big last push - go early.  

Atmosphere
8
Its Paris... who can't be excited!  You're running down the Champs-Élysées, you're passing world famous tourist sites. Wow wow wow/ 
Crowds
7.5
Excellent. Cheering "Androo" in French took me a while to realise they were cheering for me!
And the finish chute where they were banging the walls was deafening and goose-bumpying!
Expo
6
Excellent.  But its a long way away.  Get ready for 13 stops on the train there and back.  Plan a long trip and not just a pop in. 
Medal
7
Sweet.
Runner’s pack
7
A bag, a performance finishers tshirt and a drink. And as much post-race food as you could eat. 
Injuries
10
None! (I went too slow!)


And, as always, the obligatory daggy post-run kiss the medal photo!




http://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/en/


9th April, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment