Saturday, May 24, 2014

Awesome stuff from U15 800 metres - by Benjamin McKenzie

Hi. This is Benjamin McKenzie here. Dad’s always going on about these cool stories that come from running so I wanted to share one of my own.

Recently we had a multi-school athletics carnival day. I competed in a heap of events but the big story of the day was the Under 15’s 800 metres.

There was 12 runners lined up next to each other on the starting line. The gun went and one of the runners, Jake Shepherd from Plenty Valley, was tripped up.
This is Jake's picture from Facebook

Matt Perry from Donvale saw Jake on the ground and stopped and helped him up.

Matt then sprinted off to catch the other runners. Amazingly, he not only caught them but he got a lead of ten metres! By the end he was too tired from having to sprint after everyone and eventually finished third.
Jake posted about it on Facebook saying:

“got tripped at the start of a race at athletics today. so a guy (different from the one who tripped me) comes and helps me up. he ended up third, so probably sacrificed a first place and a spot in the next round to help me. people are awesome.

It got a heap of likes.

I probably wouldn't have done that because it meant you probably didn't have a chance of winning if you did that.


I think it was awesome of Matt to be willing to give up his position and chance of winning the race to help Jake to get up again.


No comments:

Post a Comment